Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sept. 3, 2011; 4:10 AM

Currently flying over South America.  Mix of emotions.  Half of me is crazy over-the-moon excited, while the other half just keeps repeating "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING??"  I guess that's just my pessimism kicking in.  I am 95% sure that the pessimistic 50% of my brain would take a back burner to the excited 50% of my brain if my espaƱol was up to par.  I feel like I should have some sort of wristband to indicate my incompetence....kind of like those wristbands they give to people with peanut allergies or those with adverse reactions to penicillin.  But mine would be more along the lines of "WARNING: you will most likely struggle to communicate with this person" instead of "please don't feed me nuts or give me those antibiotics!"  Yeah.  Something like that.

All day (and by all day I mean all week) I've been stressing about my visa situation.  The original plan was to get my tourist visa before I left the US.  That would have been ideal....so obviously that's not how it played out.  I organized all/most of the visa application materials mid-summer, called the Bolivian consulate in Houston (to double check what I needed before I drove the 3 hrs to the consulate), and come to find out the US doesn't have any visas.  WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO VISAS.  I didn't even know that was an option...to not have/run out of visas.  How is that even possible??  So the plan then shifted to 'obtain visa upon arrival in Bolivia.'  That would be all well and good if there was some sort of detailed master list of all visa application materials.  I read somewhere online that if you don't have exactly what they want from you...they send you back.  Or detain you at the port of entry.  Ummm...no thanks.  I just want to be prepared.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  This visa is weighing on my shoulders and I just want to be IN Bolivia.  I guess I'll figure it out in 2.5ish hours.

This is a 9 hour flight.  Well, not technically, but I'll be on this plane for 9 hours. Technically it's a 7 hour flight to La Paz, brief stop in La Paz, then a 1 hour flight into Santa Cruz.  Either way it's a very long time to be in an airplane.  My feet are swelling and my knees are cramping.  And there is NO way on God's green earth that I'm getting up from my window seat, disrupting these two sleeping Asians next to me, just to use that uncomfortably small airline bathroom.

This is a 9 hour flight....I should've peed in Miami.  #regret

FUN SCIENCE FACT #3:  The highest temperature produced in a lab was 920,000,000 F (511,000,000 C) at the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor in Princeton, NJ.  I'm pretty sure that's how hot it was on my flight from Dallas to Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment